The course is for advanced cyclists, with two long and tough climbs during the 140km long course. Starting from Road Station Akagi Kogen in Iinan-cho, at the border of Hiroshima, climbing up to an altitude 500m on Mt.Sanbe from the Gono-kawa River before descending to the Kandogawa river. This is followed by a gradual descent down the Kandogawa river. Next is a ride along Hii-kawa River in Okuizumo Area, before finally climbing 500m up in 30km on the Yamanami-kaido Road. The way is tough though there will be the beautiful mountains to represent the San’in Region including Mt. Kotobiki, from the Okuninushi Legend, and Mt. Oyorogi to see.
Gono-kawa River after descending the valley
Soon after leaving the start at Road Station Akagi Kogen the descent starts down a rural valley. The road down the gorge continues until reaching the Gono-kawa River. There is nice calming scenery, such as the old wooden building of a former elementary school and houses with the red tiles – the western Shimane specialty Sekishu Tile.
Ride along Gono-kawa River for a while after the resting spot Road Station Green Road Daiwa, on the wide road with the open-air scenery. There will be a small climb before Tsunzaka Tunnel, and you’ll see the winding Gono-kawa River and surrounding mountains from the layby just by the tunnel.
Road Station Akagi Kogen
Address: Shimoakana 880-3, Iinan-cho, Iishi-gun, Shimane Prefecture
Business hours: 9:00-18:00
Closed : Wednesday
Beautiful view on the hillclimb of Mt. Sanbe
The tough hill climb of Mt. Sanbe starts after the right turn at the traffic light in Misato-cho. The slope is 5 to 6% on average with the steepest part of 7 to 9% between Sanbe Onsen and the ski resort. It’s a tough part of the route, though there will be beautiful scenery to see while pedaling hard.
The blue sky opens up on entering the highland area after the right turn at the Mt. Sanbe ski resort, and steep downhill from here. The Japan Society of Civil Engineering’s design award-wining Shitsumi-ohashi Bridge will be in your sight after the snow shed. Cross the bridge with the panoramic view of Kando-gawa River, then arrive at the second resting spot Shizu no Sato Uguisu Jaya.
Shizu no Sato Uguisu Jaya
- Address: Shitsumi 351-1, Iinan-cho, Iishi-gun, Shimane Prefecture
- Tel: 0854-73-0002
- Business hours: 9:00-16:00 (*meal time 10:00~)
- Closed: Monday
Take the Shitsumi Bypass after the resting spot, with frequent ups and downs on the generally downhill road past the big Shitsumi Dam. Then arrive at the third resting spot Tachikuekyo Waka Ayu no Sato, riding down through the mountainous countryside. At the spot, there will be the clear Kando-gawa River, hemmed in by the strangely shaped rocks of the natural monument Tachikue-kyo Gorge.
Tachikuekyo Waka Ayu no Sato
- Address: Otsutachicho 5263-14, Izumo City, Shimane Prefecture
- Tel: 0853-45-0102
- Business Hours: 9:00-18:00
- Closed: Wednesday (opens in summer time, long weekends, consecutive holidays)
The last tough section of 30km hill climb starts up the Yamanami Kaido Road
Ride a while after Yaka Ayu no Sato to get to the Hii-kawa River, whose landscape of the downstream is characteristically open. On this course, the view of the upper stream area between Mt. Takase and Mt. Bukkyo is enjoyable.
Ride along Aka-gawa River after Morisaka-ohashi Bridge, then getting on to R54 Yamanami Kaido Road at the Yanagibashi traffic light. Return to Road Station Akagi Kogen (start / goal) by following signs to Hiroshima.
First, a gentle 2km hill climb to Road Station Kisuki no Sato, then after the descent, the 30km of hill climb starts from Mitoyacho.
The first 20km is the gentle slope of 1%. And Road Station Kakeya no Sato, the resting spot on the way was the first Road Station of what is now more than 2000 nationwide. This is also the birth place of the former Prime Minister Noboru Takeshita and his memorial museum is nearby.
Road Station Sakura no Sato Kisuki
- Address: Yamagata 1134-31, Kisukicho, Unnan City, Shimane Prefecture
- Tel: 0854-40-0540
- Business Hours: 7:00-18:00 *9:00-18:00 on Wednesday, Sunday
- Closed: New Year’s Day
Road Station Kakeya no Sato
- Address: Kakeya 1800-2, Kakeyacho, Unnan City, Shimane Prefecture
- Tel: 0854-62-1510
- Business Hours: 8:00-20:00
- Closed: New Year’s Day
The 3% of slope continues 5km after Kakeya no Sato, then the grade of the slope gradually greater, and the last 2.5km to Seiun Tunnel will be the 5% of hill climb. Take it easy on this part, and have a break from time to time, there will be beautiful scenery of terraced fields to soothe you.
The tough hill climb is finally over crossing Seiun Tunnel, arriving immediately the last resting spot Road Station Tonbara.
Road Station Tonbara
- Address: Hanaguri 48, Iinan-cho, Iishi-gun, Shimane Prefecture
- Tel: 0854-72-1111
- Business Hours: 8:00-17:00
- Closed: Thursday
- * Special Offer: Free coffee after meal for cyclists with helmets
LAMUNE MILK DO
- Address: Hanaguri 48, Iinan-cho, Iishi-gun, Shimane Prefecture /li>
- Tel: 0854-72-1720
- Business Hours: 9:00-17:00
- Closed: Thursday
Ohshimenawa Sousakukan Museum
- Address: Hanaguri 54-2, Iinan-cho, Iishi-gun, Shimane Prefecture
- Tel: 0854-72-1017
- Business Hours: 10:00-17:00
- Closed: Year End and New Year
Up and down once again from here, then arriving at the goal, Road Station Akagi Kogen. There will be the scenery of beautiful Iinan-cho fields for a few kilometers before the finish. The congratulations for completing the tough long 140km route. Worth trying this tough route with such beautiful scenery and nature!
Useful Information for cyclists
Iinan Cycle Rental
Cycle rental at Road Station Akagi Kogen Cycle Station
Sports cycles for rental, fees from 1000yen, air pump rental and water supply are also available.
- Address: Iinan Tourism Association, Road Station Akagi Kogen, Akana 880-3, Iinan-cho, Iishi-gun, Shimane Prefecture
- Tel: 0854-76-9050
- Business hours: 9:00-17:00 reservation required
- Closed: Wednesday
Cycle Hotels at Iinan-cho
The five accommodations in Iinan-cho provide the service which cyclists can bring their bicycles in their rooms. The stationary space is provided in the rooms, and some hotels provide a maintenance space as well as a secure storage area.
List of Iinan-cho cycle hotels
- Rest House Yamanami, Road Station Tonbara (Hanaguri 48, Iinan-cho, Iishi-gun, Shimane Prefecture)
- Kotobiki Village Mountain Villa (Sami 1199-3, Iinan-cho, Iishi-gun, Shimane Prefecture)
- Ikoinosato Kinukake (Kamiakana 1663, Iinan-cho, Iishi-gun, Shimane Prefecture)
- MORINOSU (Oda 842-2, Iinan-cho, Iishi-gun, Shimane Prefecture)
- Wakabayashi (Tonbara 1141-1, Iinan-cho, Iishi-gun, Shimane Prefecture)
- * Only this guest house, no access to the room with bikes, but the bike can be stored in the storage room and locked.
Goen Cycle Station
These Road Stations on the course; Kakeya no Sato, Sakurano Sato Kisuki, Tonbara, Akagi Kogen, and Green Road Daiwa are registered as Goen Cycle Stations where cyclists can stop and rest for their convenience. There are free services provided such as resting and parking area, toilets, water supply.
<140km Special Hillclimbing Challenge Course in Okuizumo with the Magnificent Sceneries of Shimane>