Kuniga Coast Walking Trail
(Written by Cleo Wong, CIR in Nishinoshima Town)
The Kuniga Coast Walking Trail is one of the most popular trails in the Oki Islands! Enjoy the breath-taking view of the stunning Matengai Cliff, spectacular Tsutenkyo Arch, and the enchanting Kannon-iwa Rock. It takes less than an hour to descend from the 257m high Matengai Cliff to Tsutenkyo Arch, and sometimes you may find cows and horses grazing along the trail!
Visitors are strongly advised to bring the following items while visiting the trail:
1. Standing 200m above sea level, the weather on top of Matengai Cliff can change very quickly. Bring your windbreaker or wear a long-sleeved shirt to protect yourselves from the strong wind, thistle prickles, and ticks!
2. The walking trail is within a pasture where livestock is kept. Please do not approach, frighten, touch or feed the animals.
3. The trail is not paved. Hiking shoes are highly recommended for the occasion, or wear shoes with lugged soles.
4. There is only 1 vending machine at the car park at Kuniga Bay; bring your own drinks!
5. Lastly, don’t forget your sunblock and camera!
*Take only pictures and leave only footprints.
Duration: 40 -60 min (descending from Matengai Cliff to Tsutenkyo Arch)
Access: 25 min by car from Beppu Port.